Sunday, August 18, 2013

brownies

Mmmm...
Here's a little chocolate to sweeten a Sunday. As if it needed sweetening...

Brownies

6     Tbsp cocoa powder
2     Tbsp oil
1/2  cup butter
2     eggs
1     cup sugar
1     tsp vanilla
1/2  tsp baking powder
1/4  tsp salt
3/4  cup all purpose flour
       nuts

Now I'm lazy in the kitchen and don't care to do more dishes than necessary, so I'm going to tell you what I do.  I'm sure my methods can be improved upon, so you just do what makes sense to you. Also, this is a very old recipe and not terribly sweet. Which I kind of like.

Okay, here goes...

First, pick out a pretty baking dish. This is important. Enjoy this part. I mean, this is why we buy them, right? Pick out one a little big if you like your brownies thin, a little small if you like them thick.  I like mine on the thin side. Besides, making them thicker requires more cooking time, and I just can't wait that long for brownies.

I just mix everything right there in the dish. Now, remember, these brownies don't have to be pretty, they're not for company. They are for you. And if you are anything like me, you are in your pajamas anyway, so who cares. And I said less dishes, so let's proceed.

Now, put the cocoa powder and oil in the dish and mix 'em up well with a fork.  Then add a stick of butter and put the dish in the microwave for a few seconds until it melts. Take it out and stir until you have an even consistency. Next the eggs and sugar go in and the whole time you're just mixing and mixing trying to get a smooth texture. Add all the other ingredients in the order listed above, mixing as you go.  Except the nuts. I like to put those on top. I tried to get J and E to jump in, but they didn't even break a smile.

Next pop your pretty dish of promise into a preheated oven of 350 and wait patiently for 25-30 minutes. This is this hardest part, but it will pass. Stay patient. They are done when they smell done. I don't know how I know this. My husband says set the timer. Don't tell him, but I only do that when he's watching. Like I said, they're done when I smell done.

These yummy sweet things taste real good with a little homemade whip topping, but my hands are hurting from all this typing and, really, there are brownies in the other room, so you're on your own.

Brownies are good, but Scripture is sweet, too. I'll leave you with this...

"Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him." -Psalm 34:8

No comments:

Post a Comment